Search This Blog

Monday, October 28, 2013

Poems for kids: Carl Sandburg and Beverly McLoughland

Theme in Yellow 

               by Carl Sandburg

I SPOT the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o'-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.

I Talk With the Moon 
    by Beverly McLoughland
    I talk with the moon, said the owl
    While she lingers over my tree
    I talk with the moon, said the owl
    And the night belongs to me.
    I talk with the sun, said the wren
    As soon as he starts to shine
    I talk with the sun, said the wren
    And the day is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment