Search This Blog

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Environmental Literature--our last day of wandering

Grade Level:  High School
Objective: To finish our unit on American "wanderers" with a podcast and a discussion of the different places and people we've "wandered" with so far this semester.

"The last night I spent on the road, I was camped out in the forest 20 miles from the ocean. I set up the tent for the last time. And I ate my last dinner from the food bag. There were cars passing me on the road. And I had this thought, if I were in one of those cars right now looking into this dark forest, I'd probably think it was a scary place. But I'm in the forest. And I know it's not a scary place." -Andrew Forsthoefel, This American Life

Today we:

-Discussed the scope of our first unit, and the similarities and differences between the writers we've encountered
-Listened to the first segment of This American Life 494: "Hit the Road" about Andrew Forsthoefel and his walk across America
-Talked about Andrew's walk in the context of environmental writers we've read so far this semester, addressed the questions: What does it mean to wander in an urban environment?  What does it mean to wander with other people?
-Began reading Marissa Landrigan's essay "Elk Country" for our upcoming unit on "Eaters"

No comments:

Post a Comment